Monday, November 5, 2012

When life gives you lemons what do you do?

With Dan in harvest mode, I am left doing odd jobs like raking leaves and putting away the patio furniture. I'm an outdoorsy kind of gal so I can tackle these jobs with ease, or so I thought. Thankfully, Granny offered to bring the Gator over Saturday to help move the iron furniture.

As Granny pulled up, out jumps Lucy, the little dachshund. I know Lucy well enough to know not to pick her up until she gets her excitement tinkle out. Just as soon as I bent down to pet Lucy, Pete comes running over. He begins marking his spot....right on my leg!! I love Pete but that was just wrong!

After a few minutes of an unpleasant warmth, Granny and I proceeded to take the patio furniture on the long journey from the house to the barn. By the time the rocking chairs were loaded up I happened to glance back as Granny headed towards the barn. I was left laughing hysterically. Lets see, rocking chairs in the back of a moving vehicle. 

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire, 
Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there" 
Said "Californy is the place you ought to be" 
So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly. 

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars. 


You gotta love those moments where you are left with a great mental picture such as Granny Clampett heading to Beverly Hills!

About 5 Gator loads of leaves later, it was time to head inside and do some cleaning. I decided now was a good time to clean the kitchen sink and I mean REALLY clean the sink. I found a very thorough way to clean the garbage disposal on Pinterest so I gave it a whirl. The homemade remedy included pouring baking soda along with vinegar down the drain and then running ice cubes and salt through the garbage disposal. In order to get the funky smell out, it recommended putting a half of a lemon in the garbage disposal. This is the part that didn't go as planned. I am now left with a VERY clogged kitchen sink! 

Plumber Dan has done his best at trying to fix the sink but it is now time to call in the professionals. I am thankful I have a very understanding husband! His only comment was," Well Ashley, what lesson did we learn from this?" I replied with, "Don't run lemons down the garbage disposal." He quickly corrected me. "The lesson to be learned from this is that Pinterest isn't always right!"

Well dang. 

So after my lemon episode, I thought I had my fair share of stupidity for the weekend. I was mistaken. I decided I would run my car through the car wash Sunday. As I put my money in the slot, I was prompted to select the cycle I wanted. Determined to get my $6 in before I choose the cycle, I kept ignoring the instructions. I pulled into the slot and waited as I was directed by the lights. I sat there and nothing happened. I ended up with a $6 tire spray. I am now left feeling wasteful and a car that is still dirty.

Do you ever feel like you fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down? How about the gates are closed, lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming? Sometimes, we as humans have moments where we feel incredibly unintelligent. Moments where we are left thinking, where in the world has my common sense gone??? This is normal...I think.

Sometimes life gives you lemons. Sometimes the lemons clog the sink. Instead of making lemonade, you may just need to call out the plumber and keep waiting for that train.

The joys of being a farmer's wife...with a clogged sink and dirty Jeep!

No comments:

Post a Comment