Monday, November 19, 2012

Dog...a man's best friend



Dan and I lost our dog, Pete, last week. I know to some, Pete was “just a dog” but I most certainly have to disagree.

I bought Pete as a wedding gift to Dan but more importantly, Pete's main job was to be Dan's farming buddy. 


Last summer was tough. One I don’t want to experience again. After Tucker, Dan's Grandpa passed, Dan was left farming by himself...until Pete. Little did I know, this dog would be a great farm dog!

Pete would go everywhere with Dan. He would make the trip to the John Deere store, the farm store, and even good ol’ Coon Dog where he would sit patiently in the back of the truck until Dan brought the scraps from lunch...if there was any.

Pete was famous for running the cows around the pasture, trying to attach himself to one of the horse’s tails and even chasing the rooster up the fence. This wild pup offered many great laughs.


Believe me, Pete had some ornery moments too!! If in the truck bed too long, Pete would leave a little surprise for Daniel. He would leave me with a yard full of holes where he would dig like crazy and little surprises I would find with my shoe. 

I won't ever forget the time Pete and I rolled uncontrollably down the hill straight into the fence (blog post). Or the numerous times I would take Pete to the barn with me at night because I felt like a 30 pound dog could save me from a bad guy.

The site of Pete riding up in the tractor or in the bed of Dan's truck will never be forgotten. The times I would look out the kitchen window and watch Dan and Pete playing around. The way that dog just sat and watched Dan's every move. Pure loyalty. It amazes me how attached you can get to a dog in just a years time.


The day I got the phone call that Pete was hit by a car, I cried more than I ever thought. I'm not sure if it was the fact that Pete was gone or that Dan's farming buddy was gone. Either way, it wasn't easy. 


In need of a companion, Dan and I looked at puppies right away. We are now proud owners of a 12 week Australian Shepherd puppy named Gunner. Gunner was nameless for three days just so Dan could give him the perfect name. I sure hope we don't have a nameless child for three days when that day comes...one day.


Although Pete could not be replaced, Dan needed to find another dog that he would grow to love as much as Pete. There is something about these 4 legged friends that just warm the heart.



I do have to admit, I am a proud momma! Gunner has been staying in the house with us (he was supposed to stay outside) and hasn't touched a thing! He sleeps good, eats good, and well, he pottys good too! I can't believe a 12 week old puppy sits by the door when he needs to go out! Gunner and Pete are complete opposites when it comes to personality. Pete would lick you to death while Gunner would rather you pick him up and hold him like a baby. Pete would run wild, Gunner likes to just lay down and chew on his toy.

At the end of the day I know exactly where to find Gunner...curled up in Dan's lap.




The joys of being a farmer's wife....with a new puppy!

No comments:

Post a Comment