Monday, October 22, 2012

How Sweet It Is!


1,460 days ago I began dating the love of my life. 729 days ago I said “Yes” to the man of my dreams. 365 days ago I said “I Do” and married my best friend.


Back in high school I feared I would never find my prince charming. I was starting to think that I would end up being the unmarried “cat lady” with 40 + cats. I didn’t have much luck in the guy department. The fact that all of my free time was spent out at the barn didn't allow for much time on the dating scene and then off to college I went.

Walking around campus in a small, rural Kentucky town allowed me to see what this lovely state had to offer….lots and lots of good ol’ country boys! Now we are talkin! After a few attempts at the dating thing, I realized it was time to really focus on school, my horses, and my new friends. Of course, when you least expect it, God begins showing you his plan a little at a time.

His plan began with me tearing the ligaments in my ankle at a school function. Being the generous God he is, he placed a slow-talkin, wrangler-wearing, boot-stompin good ol’ southern boy in my life. Dan immediately jumped in to help with getting me to class and getting my horses fed. Hmm…so he can take care of me and my horse…this is lookin good! By the next week, I met Dan’s parents and grandparents and soon after became “Facebook official” (October 21, 2008).

Looking back now, Dan and I can’t believe how quickly it all happened. We jumped into this relationship a lot faster than we ever thought we would do…EVER! I believe I was even the first one to initiate the kiss which I swore I never would do. God had his plan. 

I know now why I was the only one out of my friends in high school that wasn't dating. No guy could ever hold a candle to Dan. He is a Godly man, a caring man, a hard worker, my rock, and my best friend. I now can thank God for all of those unanswered prayers. 

October 20, 2010, Dan got down on one knee and made me the happiest girl ever. One year and one day later (October 22, 2011) we stood before our family, friends, and most importantly, God, to make a promise to each other. A promise to encourage, to love, to support, and to cherish for better or for worse.

This time a year ago my belly was full of butterflies. No words could express the happiness I felt that day. I still get goose bumps just thinking about the feeling of pure excitement when I heard the songs that our moms walked in to. The moment when you really realize what is actually happening  The few precious moments with my Dad right before we made the walk down the aisle. The moment I turned the corner and saw Dan waiting at the altar. These are moments that will never be forgotten.

 8765.81 hours later, I am able to say that I thought I loved him then. As each day goes by, I realize more and more how truly blessed I am to have someone like Dan by my side at all times. I know God had Dan set aside just for me since before the day we were born. A love like this is not not like the ones out of the chick flicks...this one is better!

365 days have passed and I am happier now than I was then. I had my fairy tale wedding but the real fairy tale is waking up next to that slow-talkin, wrangler-wearin, BIG truck drivin Kentucky boy that I fell in love with four years ago.

The joys of being a farmer’s wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment