Saturday, June 1, 2013

What a week!


Whew wee! This week has been…uh….interesting to say the least.

The week started out well with a day off from work. Memorial Day was spent lounging in a chair outside with Kindle and a large glass of sweet tea in hand. Three day weekends are great for catching up on household chores and some much needed R & R.

Unfortunately, R& R was not in Dan's forecast. He has been working like a dog the past couple of weeks and it continued on into Memorial Day weekend. It finally dried up enough for the guys to get in the field and finish up planting corn. Sadly, no break is in sight seeing as they had to jump right into side dressing (applying Nitrogen which boosts growth) the corn that was previously planted.

I’ve had several “crop lessons” over the past 5 years since Dan and I started dating. I now can say with complete confidence that I know what side dressing is, the cycle of which crops are planted/harvested and most importantly…when to just nod and smile!

I know Dan absolutely LOVES what he does but I sometimes get that feeling of guilt when I call to check on him and he is broke down or he has another 50 acres to plant and it is already 10:30 pm. I believe farmers deserve the 125% dedication award!

So with Dan working day in and day out I feel like it is my wifely duty to pick up the slack and take care of things around the house. Due to my slight OCD (Dan may beg to differ on the slight part), cleaning is something I enjoy doing. I don’t mind laundry, cooking, or washing my car. I’m not above taking trash to the dumpster, weed eating or even mulching. The one thing I didn’t do previously was mow grass. Its not that I didn’t want to mow the grass, it’s the fact that the lawn mower is one of those large and in charge, zero turn radius mowers. I will be honest, it’s intimidating! When it got to the point where we could bale our yard was when I realized I needed to learn how to use Big Bertha!
Saturday was the big day. Lawn Mowing 101. Dan’s Grandmother brought Bertha over and there I was…the day of having the excuse “I don’t know how” gone. Granny was kind enough to mow the edges and hard spots so I didn’t have to my first time. I know deep down it was for Bertha’s sake.  I hopped on that sucker and took off. My first few passes were more like the Chevron print than straight lines but I finally got the hang of it. Yes, there might be a few patches that I missed but at least I did it!

Even Gus got a new buddy this week! While cleaning stalls one morning I heard what sounded like another kitten. After searching the barn up and down I found what looks to be like Gus’ twin. We now have Gwen…Gus’ sister. I am not sure how she survived for the past three weeks but she’s a trooper. I just hope they don’t have any other siblings pop up somewhere.
As if things couldn’t get anymore exciting we got a phone call Saturday morning saying that Alex, Dan’s little brother, was in a car accident Friday night. He was hit by a drunk driver and took a spill right into a trailer park, in between two mobile homes. Things could have gotten ugly seeing as he knocked down a power line/gas line but once again, the Good Lord did amazing things. Alex walked away with a few air bag burns, a stiff neck and a totaled car. Times like these we realize life is so precious and so fragile. I believe Alex’s guardian angel was tired after that one!
What more could possibly take place this week you ask? How about an out-of-body experience! About a month ago I had a few cavities filled. The dentist gave me some Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) to make it a more enjoyable experience. If you have ever had the gas you know that it mellows you out and typically doesn't have any negative sideaffects....

I am guessing the hygienist got the vibe that I was anxious about the procedure so they gave me a much stronger dose of the gas. As they were telling me to let them know if the room began to spin or if I felt sick I quickly realized that something was not right. I tried to tell them that something was going on but I slipped out of it too fast. I could hear they hygenist talking but couldn’t make out what was being said nor could I see anything. I was myself in a much smaller form (like in Honey, I shrunk the kids form) and I was in my mouth watching them work on my teeth. It was the most bizarre thing I have ever experienced. Once I came to, the Hygienist told me what happened and informed me that I sat up and ripped everything off of my face. I was hoping they already worked on my teeth but that was a negative. It was apparnt that out-of-body experiences are not part of my regular routine seeing as the first thing the dentist said was, “Well Hun, looks to me like you don’t participate in recreational drugs.” Well Sir, you are correct about that one. I guess they could tell by the tears streaming down my extremely frightened face that this wasn’t something I experienced on a regular basis. Dan’s response to all of this, “And that’s why the dentist is overrated.
Oh my, the joys of being a farmer’s wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment