Wednesday, May 8, 2013

So God made a farmer's wife

Well, it’s that time again! Time for lonely meals for one and a few hours of having the entire bed to myself. I don’t mean to make planting time seem like a burden or anything. I really do miss Dan when I only see him for about five hours in a five day period but having the entire bed to myself for a few hours isn’t so bad. I guess that’s what life is like as a farmer’s wife.

To be quite honest, planting season truly hasn’t made its full debut. This rain three days, dry three days, rain three days cycle is not helping the farmers much.

Dan was blessed enough to get all of his corn planted three weeks ago but his Cousin hasn’t been as lucky. This weather is throwing a lot of farmers off but we sure are glad that we hadn’t started a drought like last year. This time a year ago we had a grand total of under 1 inch of rain with a temperature easily reaching the 80 degree mark . As of now, we have had a total of  nearly 5 inches of rain with an average temperature of 65 degrees. Now that is just crazy. Needless to say, we are happy about the rainfall. Now if we can just keep it coming through the blazing hot summer months.

 Queen of the house
 
With Dan’s busy season in full swing, I am learning to readjust to quiet nights at home. Just me, Gunner, Gracie and Gus. Okay, maybe quiet wasn’t the right term. Maybe chaos is a better term to describe my crazy household! Who is Gus you might ask? Gus is a new addition to our family! I found him stranded in a hole inside the horse barn, all by his lonesome self. He couldn’t have been but three-four weeks old when I found him so of course I picked up this scrawny but beautiful and oh so fluffy little kitten. I do believe I have the word….S.U.C.K.E.R. plastered across my forehead. An animal in need is Ashley’s indeed! I just can’t say no. I broke the news to Dan over the phone but he knew this one wasn’t going anywhere once he saw the kitten formula and bottle on the kitchen table.


My little Gus Gus

Most likely the happiest dog ever...always smiling!
It’s nice having a few buddies to keep me company while Dan’s out in the field until midnight. I sometimes feel like a cold and heartless wife when Dan tells me he will be working late and I don’t get too bummed. I have a slight problem with getting too involved in too many projects. What can I say, I just love projects. Between finishing a few projects around the house, working on my photography, gardening and the horses I somehow find my lonely nights at home slipping by quickly. Thankfully, I have a husband that understands that his wife has a slight ADD/OCD/Extreme need to always be doing something.

Latest Photo Shoot
 
 
 

 
So while Dan is out doing what he loves, I am at home with my house full of animals doing what I love.  Although, after a four day period of not seeing the hubby, we can really appreciate a lazy night at home. Farmer’s lives are definitely one of a kind but it works for us!

It just so happens that I stumbled upon this poem about the life of a farmer’s wife and I just might have to agree with this!

So God made a farmer’s wife

And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "Oh dear, the farmer is going to need help." So God made a farmer's wife.

God said, "I need somebody who will get up before dawn, make breakfast, work all day in the kitchen, bank, school or alongside her farmer and then come home to fix supper and wash us the dishes." So God made a farmer’s wife.

God said, "I need somebody willing to sit up all night with their newborn son. And watch him grow. Then pray each morning and teach her children to say, "please and thank you." I need somebody who can make a fried-egg sandwich, stretch a paycheck or thicken soup, who can clean her house with vinegar, baking soda and hot water. And who, planting time and harvest season, will finish her forty-hour work week on Friday, then, join her farmer in the field for another two days, six meals and five loads of laundry." So God made a farmer’s wife.

God said, "I need somebody strong enough to plant trees and heave bales, to co-sign a loan for a half a million with steady hands, yet gentle enough to tame show lambs and raise kids and calm the farmer when he’s upset over higher rent or lower corn, who will stop her work for an hour to talk on the phone to her neighbor who just found out her mother is sick. Somebody who could cook and clean and not cut corners. Somebody to wash, dry, iron, tidy, feed, rake, water, drive, check the homework and pack the lunch bags and remember the basketball schedule and replenish the refrigerator and finish a hard week’s worth with a five-mile ride to church.

"Somebody who’d sew a family together with the soft strong stitches of sharing, who would laugh and then sigh and then reply, with smiling eyes, when her daughter says she wants to spend her life "doing what mom does," So God made a farmer’s wife.

I thank God everyday for this simple, but honest lifestyle that he blessed me with. There is something so humbling about life on the farm...something I would never trade. Farm life is pure, simple and rewarding. It definitely has it's stressful times but those are the times that we are able to grow closer to the Good Lord. That is when we take the opportunity to cling to Him and allow Him to lead way. This is not the lifesyle many would choose but I am grateful God chose me to be a farmer's wife.


The true joys of being a farmer's wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment