Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Runaway Jeep

Well the cows did it again. They managed to find a hole in the fence and sneak out. Seriously, is the grass that much better on the other side?? Darn cows! After scarfing down a quick lunch Dan, Pete and I loaded up in the Jeep to go on another infamous cattle roundup.

Once the hole was found Dan was hard at work fixing the fence. Dan is someone that continues to amaze me daily. I don't think there is anyone out there that works harder than he does. Farming is truly his passion even when his cows continually try to escape and even when he has to fix fences in 100 degree heat. He is one of those that is not happy unless he puts in a hard days work.

Once the fence was fixed we had to move all of the cows together. Of course there was that one cow that happened to be on the wrong side of the fence. Dan jumped out of the Jeep in a mad dash to steer the cow in the right direction. Pete jumped into the front seat like a boss and I was in the passenger seat. We were quite a pair until we realized the Jeep was moving. Moving quickly towards the fence! Apparently as Dan jumped out of the Jeep he thought he put it in gear. WHOOPS! So me in a panic I started yelling at Dan to stop the Jeep. I think I even yelled at Pete to do something. Like a dog could really jump down and press the brake. Needless to say we ran right into the fence. As I was yelling Pete let out a noise that was unmistakably a cry. Once we were at a full stop I began laughing hysterically at Pete. He knew we weren't supposed to be going down hill towards a fence! When I thought all of the excitement was over I looked over my shoulder to see a cow straddling a tree stump to scratch her belly. Wow...never a dull moment




Our days seem to always be filled with some type of excitement. Whether it be chasing cows or fixing fences or even rolling down hills uncontrollably, I wouldn't trade my life as a farmer's wife for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment